Hearings on January 6 attack
JUNE 21: DAY 4
• Public Hearing 4: Tuesday, June 21 (PBS NewsHour)
• Analysis: The 14 most important lines from today's January 6 committee hearing (June 21, CNN)
• 'There is nowhere I feel safe': Jan. 6 panel hears from election officials Trump targeted (June 21, Time)
• Analysis: The single most compelling witness of the January 6 committee hearings so far (June 21, CNN)
• Opinion: The gobsmacking audacity of the alleged scheme to keep Trump in office (June 21, CNN)
JUNE 16: DAY 3
• Public Hearing 3: Thursday, June 16 (PBS NewsHour)
• How Trump pressured Pence with taunts, lies and an angry mob (June 16, Time)
• Analysis: The 16 most compelling lines from the June 16 hearing. (June 16, CNN)
• The January 6 committee's most damning revelation yet (June 16, The Atlantic)
• Opinion: Eastman bet on the Supreme Court to intervene in the 2020 election. It was a lie (June 16, MSNBC)
JUNE 13: DAY 2
• Public Hearing 2: Monday, June 13 (PBS NewsHour)
• Jan. 6 committee postpones Wednesday hearing (June 14, CNN)
• Analysis: The 14 most compelling lines from Monday's hearing. (June 13, CNN)
• Analysis: How Trump chose an 'apparently inebriated' Giuliani over his campaign team. (June 13, CNN)
JUNE 9: DAY 1
• Public Hearing 1: Thursday, June 9 (PBS NewsHour)
• Cheney said Trump had a 'seven-part plan' to overturn election (June 10, CNN)
• The 11 most consequestional lines from Hearing 1 (June 10, CNN)
• Analysis; Violent images wipe away 17 months of denial (June 10, CNN)
• Website: House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol
McLeod-Skinner defeats Schrader,
In a video interview with the Linn County Dems, Jamie McLeod-Skinner discusses issues facing residents of the 5th Congressional District. The Linn County Democrats endorsed McLeod-Skinner in the May 17 Primary Election.
Calls to action on guns
Bipartisan group of senators announces
agreement on gun-safety legislation
• What's in the bipartisan gun deal and what's not (June 12, CNN)
• House passes sweeping gun reform package, though it's unlikely to move in the Senate;
Rep. Kurt Schrader was one of two Democrats voting against it (June 8, CNN)
During his testimony June 8
Miah Cerrillo, a fourth grader who survived the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, and Felix and Kimberly Rubio, whose daughter was killed in the shooting, delivered emotional testimony June 8 before a House committee hearing on gun violence. Kimberly Rubio wants Congress to strengthen background checks, enact
Garnell Whitfield Jr., son of 86-year-old Ruth Whitfield, who was killed when a gunman opened fire in a racist attack on Black shoppers in Buffalo, New York, challenged Congress on June 7 to act against the 'cancer of white supremacy' and the nation’s epidemic of gun violence.
Actor Matthew McConaughey delivers impassioned remarks June 7 at the White House press briefing, telling the stories of those who died in the elementary school shooting in his native Uvalde, Texas, and urging more action on gun control.
Supreme Court draft opinion
would overturn Roe v. Wade
Rallies for women's rights
held in Albany and around the country
Schumer, Pelosi: Draft Roe would go down as an 'abomination' (May 3, The Hill)
Analysis: An earth-shattering moment for a Supreme Court already on the brink (May 3, CNN)
Analysis: Supreme Court may have just fundamentally altered the 2022 election (May 3, CNN)
'If the Court does overturn Roe, it will be on our nation's officials at all levels of government to protect a women's right to choose. At the federal level, we will need more pro-choice senators and a pro-choice majority in the House to adopt legislation that codifies Roe. which I will work on and pass into law.'
'We've made it. All of us'
Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson marks her historic Supreme Court confirmation with a moving speech on the White House lawn.
• Jackson notes the progress she represents in her journey (April 8, NPR)
• Biden marks historic confirmation (April 8, NBC News)
• Analysis: Jackson's confirmation confronts a partisanship that threatens to tear America apart. (April 8, CNN)
Linn Dems elect Heath as 3rd vice chair,
give Stamp of Approval to six candidates
Nancy Greenman said Heath “always seems to be willing to do the work and knows what’s going on.”
Heath said she’s impressed that the Linn Dems have made meetings more inclusive, and she praised the Neighborhood Leader Program and the “great candidates” who have stepped forward.
“I would like to be a little more involved and be the 3rd Vice Chair,” she said.
Heath succeeds Mark Leonard, who was appointed acting 3rd Vice Chair last month to temporarily fill a vacancy. Miriam Cummins served as 3rd Vice Chair until resigning earlier this year.
In other action April 7, the Linn Dems gave Stamps of Approval to the following Democratic candidates: Nina Brenner, Mary Cooke and Renee Windsor-White, all running collaboratively for the House District 11 nomination in the May 17 Primary Election; Ben Watts, House District 15; Scott Bruslind, Linn County Commissioner; and Deidre DeJear, Iowa governor.
April 7 also marked the first hybrid meeting for the Linn Dems Twenty-six people attended via Zoom, while eight others attended in person at Albany Public Library for the first time since March 2020. The newly purchased Owl 360 degree camera, mic and speaker made it easy for everyone.
A heads up about the 5th Congressional District
Another heads up: the Linn County Democrats have proudly endorsed Jamie McLeod-Skinner for Oregon's 5th Congressional District (as have the Marion Dems - Democratic Party of Marion County, Oregon, Clackamas County Democratic Party, and Deschutes Democrats).
And finally another heads up: the deadline to update your voter registration to Democrat to be able to vote for Jamie in the May primary is 𝗧𝘂𝗲𝘀𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝗔𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗹 𝟮𝟲𝘁𝗵 and can be done online by visiting https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/vr/showVoterSearch.do
Jamie McLeod-Skinner for Oregon #teamjamie
Fred Meyer issues apology, works with NAACP to address
racial discrimination claims from Black shoppers
News & Updates
Look here for news, commentary and updates from Linn Dems and ally organizations